Are you a Business?
- Would you like to innovate your business to make it more competitive?
- Would you like to start your business’s digital transformation process?
- What are the opportunities available to finance your research and development projects?
- Do you want to become part of the Friuli Innovazione Community?
The OpenSHIP project studies the hydrodynamic performance of the hull-propeller system of ships with the aim of improving their performance and reducing design and plant costs for manufacturing companies.
The activities include the use of solutions that synergically use high performance computers (HPC - High Performance Computing) and high fidelity simulations of the fluid motion around the hull and propeller based on OpenSource software. This type of software, alternatively or integrated with commercial software, allows to overcome the critical aspects generated by the cost of licenses and also allows to reach levels of flexibility and customization that are better suited to high performance computing environments. The international literature and the experience gained by the proponents indicate that today the OpenSource environment is mature enough to match that of commercial software, guaranteeing analogues or, in some cases, even better results due to the operator's targeted intervention on the schemes numeric and on the calculation grid. The experimental idea is the development of a virtual prototype that takes into account the mutual influences between the wake generated by the hull and the operation of the propeller, an ambitious goal because this procedure would enter for the first time to be part of the naval design standards.
- CETENA S.p.A. - Centro per gli Studi di Tecnica Navale
- Università degli Studi di Trieste
- SISSA - Scuola Internazionale Superiore di Studi Avanzati
- Friuli Innovazione Centro di Ricerca e di Trasferimento Tecnologico
- Spring Firm S.r.l.